Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 3: An Interesting Turn of Events


I was dreaming today... 

I don't believe I've ever dreamed while picking up grass clippings and trimming lawn edges with scissors the way my grandmother used to do, but I did today (Thursday). My weedeater was temporarily out of commission, so the scissors were my substitute... brought back great memories of my days growing up on my grandparents farm between Dixon and Clay. But my best memories today were of the compliments and smiles that I experienced when I handed someone a delicious shake, cone or sundae (decorated with a cherries or sprinkles on top) in days gone by. 

I want to do that again - and to hear folks say, "How is it that your shakes are the best around?" I look forward to telling them that it's the mix (can't share why...it's a secret of my trade), and of course the way that the treat is prepared, especially one that is ChoColate!!

A Storyteller's Visit 

 

Matt Hughes, from the Journal Enterprise, dropped by today. He wanted to know what the #bringbackgreaticecreamprovidencky experience was all about. I was most happy to share. He's planning on developing an article that can help the community get all the facts, too. It will be wonderful to spread the word even more. Meeting Matt was awesome. I found out that in addition to being a reporter, he's also a fiction writer.

A Schoolmate From the Past Shares Her Confidence in God's Plan

 

Darlene Franklin was a dear best friend from my school days in Webster County. I'm friends with her on Facebook, but I'd not seen her in person in quite some time. Her visit today was a brief short reunion (her grandkids were with her and she had places to go) that I look forward to enjoying more later.

In she came, hurrying to find me, as I was in the back of the restaurant.

She greeted me with "What are you doing? Are you going to reopen?" 
I said, "God willing."
Darlene replied, "Of course, your going to reopen. God wants you to be here."

Darlene said she was stopping by to let me know that she and her husband wanted to donate and she'd be back to give me the money. She then did even more. Raising her arms, as if to flex her muscles, she also told me that she wanted to help in a physical way, too, as much as she can, to get things back in shape.

The greatest words that Darlene shared was that God's people are supposed to help others. Further, she said when one has something and the other is in need, we are to share. 

These are words I have lived by all my life and practiced. Sometimes things go differently than you ever dreamed of, no matter how much you prepare. I cannot express what that meant to me. 

Another great day. And more to come.

I will be returning to Providence on Friday, May 10, sometime in the evening. Hope to see you there! With everyone doing a little, it will add up to a lot, and we'll soon be making those marvelous ice cream treats again!!

P.S. If you think it's easy to ask for donations, it's not. It's one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. I am being obedient to God. The results are up to Providence and God.

 








No comments:

Post a Comment